The 2023 BlueBonnet Express Event Information
The 32nd annual Bluebonnet Express will be held on a
April 23, 2023 and will start from the Waller ISD Football Stadium in Waller, Texas, approximately 40 miles northwest of Houston.
Routes & Rest Stops Map
This fully supported ride is one of the Houston area’s oldest rides and Is presented by Northwest Cycling Club. Three different distances/routes will be offered, heading south of Waller, and then turning north going into Montgomery County and finally turning south heading back to the stadium. The routes this year are brand new and are 95% on back country roads, staying off most of the busier FM roads in Waller County. Cyclist can expect mostly flat sections and some gentle rollers. This fully supported ride is only one week away from the MS 150 making it an excellent training opportunity. The Bluebonnet Express is a MS 150 Recommended Ride.
TRAFFIC CONTROL WILL BE PROVIDED BY AREA LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.
Location: Waller ISD Football Stadium, 20735 Stokes Road, Waller, Texas.
Heading west on Hwy. 290, take the FM 2920 (Waller, Tomball Road) exit and cross over FM 2920 and take the next right onto Stokes Road. Heading east on Hwy 290 exit FM2920 and circle back under overpass and take the next street right onto Stokes Road.
PARKING IS ONLY ACCESSIBLE FROM STOKES ROAD
Routes and Start Times: 7:30 AM Rolling Start
Note: Riders doing the 74-mile route must be able to average 12-13 MPH, including rest stops.
Registration dates, associated registration fees, and t-shirt availability
Registration only available online
Register online by 2/10/2023 for $45 and the registered rider will receive a t-shirt.
Register online between 2/11/2023 and 3/23/2023 for $50 and the registered rider will receive a t-shirt. (2/23/2023 is deadline for t-shirts)
Register online between 3/24/2023 and 4/20/2023 for $55. The rider will not receive a t-shirt.
Registration at packet pickup (on-line via smart phone) will be $60 on April 21st, 22nd & 23rd. *** NO T-SHIRT***
You may register on-line, on the day of the ride. You will need your cell phone to do this. Fee is $60. T-shirts will not be available. Packet pickup also available the morning of the ride. All riders must have either registered or picked up their packets between 6 AM – 7:30 AM at the stadium.
Friday, April 21st, 11 AM – 6 PM
Saturday, April 22nd, 11 AM – 4 PM
Lunch will be served from 11 AM until 4 PM April 23rd in the Waller High School Cafeteria, across from stadium.
Safety Expectations for NWCC Sponsored Rides
- Helmets Required!!!
- No earphones while riding
- Follow all traffic laws unless directed by a local law enforcement
- Ride single file on two lane roads as to not impede traffic. If you ride two abreast on two lane road you could get a ticket.
- Riding more than two abreast is illegal.
- Announce and / or use hand signals for changes in direction or speed.
- Announce or signal road hazards to other riders.
- Announce “slowing” or “stopping” when approaching intersections.
- Scan and look behind you before changing position.
- Pass on the left announcing, “on your left.” Do not pass on the right!
- Watch for approaching traffic as well as traffic coming from the rear. Inform others by calling out “car up” or “car back.”
- Move off the road to stop.
- For SAG, move off the road, call (346) 334-7515, and take off your helmet.
We expect riders not to ride if they are currently experiencing symptoms such as sore throat, cough, chills, body aches for unknown reasons, shortness of breath for unknown reasons, loss of smell, loss of taste, fever, temperature at or greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit or if you have had these symptoms in the past two weeks. If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, been advised to get tested, or been advised to quarantine, we expect you not to ride in any of our group rides until the quarantine period has passed.
For more information
send email to email@example.com
BBX Ride Director: Carl Grasshoff